All tied up in stitches

Walk with me as I journey my way through life using the crafts of knitting and crocheting as tools to help me make my way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bellingham, Washington, United States

I'm like a butterfly emerging from it's cocoon, trying to find who I am in the midst of a total life change. At times its exciting. At times challenging. At times a little scary. But something I know I have to go through in order to fly.

 

Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe 
Free Mailing Lists from Bravenet.com

 

Saturday, June 17, 2006

A little something for you :)



GRAB & GO TINY BAG

11" long, 4"tall (not including strap), 2 1/2" wide
1 skein of Cascade 220 100% wool (I did not use the whole skein)
Size 11 circular, 29"
Blunt ended needle.

KNITTING TERMS:
CO: cast on
K2tog: knit 2 stitches together knit wise
K2togtbl: knit 2 stitches together through back loop
BO: bind off

BASE:
Cast on 40 stitches.
Rows 1 - 22: knit.
Pick up 11 stitches on the short side of the rectangle that you just made. Place marker. Pick up 40 stitches along the cast on row. Place marker. Pick up 11 stitches on the next short side of rectangle. Place marker. Knit 40 stitches. Place row identifying marker (I use a different color or a different kind of marker so I know when a new row is started). Total of 102 stitches on needle.

BAG BODY
Rows 1 - 6: knit.
Row 7: Decrease row: Knit to marker. Slip marker. K2tog. Knit to last 2 stitches before next marker. K2togtbl. Slip marker. Knit to marker. Slip marker. K2tog. Knit to last 2 stitches before next marker. K2togtbl. Slip marker. Knit. Total of 98 stitches.
Rows 8 - 12: Knit.
Row 13: Repeat decrease row. Total of 94 stitches.
Rows 14 - 18: Knit.
Row 19: Repeat decrease row. Total of 90 stitches.
Rows 20 - 27: Knit.
Row 28: Strap: Knit 5. BO 30. Knit 5. Remove marker. Knit 5. Remove marker. Knit 5. BO 30. Knit 5. Remove marker. Knit 5. Total of 15 stitches for each strap.

STRAP:
Note: The strap is knitted directly off of the bag. And then is knit together using the Kitchner stitch. See below for more information about this stitch.

At this point, you will be knitting each part of the strap separately.
Turn your work.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: K2tog. Knit to last 2 stitches K2togtbl.
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: K2tog. Knit to last 2 stitches K2togtbl.
Row 6: Purl.
Row 7: K2tog. Knit to last 2 stitches K2togtbl. Total of 9 stitches.
Rows 8 - 30: work in Stockinette Stitch beginning with a purl row.
Row 31: BO OR leave on circular needle to work the Kitchner stitch.

Repeat this procedure for the second part of the strap left on the circular needle. You will need to attach your yarn at the base of your work to begin.
To join strap: You can either use the Kitchner stitch or you can simply sew the two ends together making sure each stitch is stitched together. It is best to lay your work out flat in front of you with the right sides facing. Then use a blunt ended needle and a long piece of yarn to do the sewing.

TAB for closure:
Row 1: Count from the base of the strap, across the CO stitches, 13 stitches and attach yarn. Knit 5 stitches. Turn.
Row 2: Purl.
Continue in stockinet stitch until you get the size tab that you want. Remember it, too, will shrink.
BO.

FELT IT
I used a white net zippered lingerie bag that I got at the Dollar Store.
-Put the purse in the bag and zip.
-Wash using the hottest setting on your washer. I set the washer on medium.
-I usually add 1 cup baking soda and some liquid castille soap.
- I stay close to the washer and start checking for felting (by stopping the machine and carefully lifting the bag out of the water. BE VERY CAREFUL THE WATER IS HOT!) about 6-8 minutes after the agitation starts.
-When the purse has gotten to the size that I want. I take it out of the machine. Pressing gently to get any excess water out. But I do NOT wring or twist it in any way.
-I then shape the bag using balled up plastic bags.

TO FINISH BAG:
Sew button to bag at the place where you desire it to be. Cut straight opening in Tab just big enough for the button to slip snuggly through.

This is my first attempt at writing down a pattern that I�ve created. So, please let me know if there are problems. Enjoy!

© 2006 by Sue Schaefer. All rights reserved. This pattern may not be sold, or posted to any website, or electronically transmitted, or copied in any way, without the written consent of the copyright owner.

Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger C. Buttles said...

Absolutely beautiful bags! If you decide to publish patterns, please sincerely consider patterns for crochet. (I don't knit.)

Thank you

6:25 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I agree. I often design my own things as well but someimtes it's nice to have a pattern that is just beautiful!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

Hi! I'm loving working this pattern, but I've hit a snag! I'm on row 28 (strap). The beginning of my row starts with the 11 stitches of the side between the markers, then on to the side with 34 stitches between the markers. So if I follow the directions of starting with "k5, bo30, k5, remove marker" my markers are not in the right place, and it doesn't seem like the strap would end up in the right place either. Are the straps supposed to be on the ends with the 11 stitches with 2 stitches from the long ends on each side?

Thanks for your help!
Janelle

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have arrived at the same point as Janelle above - please help! I have read every Ravelry project for this bag but no one addresses this. Thank you... Am making as gift for daughter in law just 8 das from now! ...AnitaLG 04.19.12

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home